Going about my day-to-day ‘business’ as a twin mum on maternity leave, I often find myself doing something, and then thinking to myself, ‘never ever had I ever done this before the twins were born…’, such things include:
- Finding poo that isn’t my own on my clothes, and often below a few finger nails.
- Forgetting where my makeup is because I hadn’t put any on in days.
- Stewing pears at 6am.
- Putting everything into song to pacify two tiny humans
- Had a baby wipe bath because a shower would just be too much to ask for that day.
- Finding a trip to the supermarket an outing.
- An undisturbed hot coffee is now on par with an orgasm.
- Microwaving tea… WHAT!
- Making it through a chapter of a book in bed without falling asleep is now a massive achievement.
- Not being repulsed by the stench of vomit.
- A washing basket is just one big black hole.
- A solid six hours of undisturbed sleep feels like a month long coma.
- ‘In event of a fire, do not use lift.’ –But what would I dooooo?
- Internet shopping is not ‘convenient’- what if the delivery man bangs on my door at nap time?
- I have never spoken to so many strangers in my life.
- Fantasised about a pj day and Netflix marathon so much in my life.
- Fantasised about a bath.
The list is endless and will only continue to grow.
People often say to me- in regards to Bonnie and Isla- “I’m sure you don’t remember what life was like before them.”– let’s be real here, of course I remember. I had absolute freedom, my days weren’t dictated by shitty bums and bedtime routines, the answer is that I certianly do remember how life was like before we had twins, nobody forgets that, it’s just that now we couldn’t imagine a future without them, and for that I wouldn’t change a thing.